If you opt not to hire a professional stager, here are some guidelines to help you prepare your home for market:
Remove all clutter from the house:
- Are countertops free and clear?
- Have you removed unnecessary furniture throughout the house?
- Remove the art gallery and coupon collection from the refrigerator.
NOTE: Many of my clients have utilized space in the garage &/or attic for temporary storage while the home is being shown. An alternative is to rent a storage space at a nearby storage facility. I can help you find an inexpensive one.
Check the bathrooms:
- Are the surfaces clean and clear?
- Are shower curtains and doors hung properly?
- Is the flooring clean and fresh?
- Are towels neatly hung?
Check the walls:
- Is paint and wallpaper fresh and clean?
- Are the walls free from holes?
- Are there any colors or objects on the walls that need to be removed?
Check the floors:
- Is the carpet clean and free from stains?
- Are hard surface floors clean and free from stains?
Check windows and window coverings:
- Are all the windows clean?
- Are draperies and blinds clean?
- Are there any signs that this is a pet’s home? Be sure to clean and remove kitty litter, pet toys and bedding.
How’s the aroma?
- Try to air out the home prior to showings.
- If air freshener is necessary, use well before showings as a consideration to those with allergies.
Set the mood prior to showings:
- Open draperies and blinds.
- Turn on the radio to a classical music station, set the volume on low.
- If you have time, cook a batch of cookies to have the warm, welcoming aroma permeating the home.
Are you looking to sell your house? Let us help you. Just fill out as much of the information below that you want and we’ll get right back to you, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy.